Nano-bio lab course: photolithography

Editor’s note: Over the next several days, we will share the student impressions of some of the techniques learned in INBT’s nano-bio laboratory course (670.621). These reports demonstrate the wide variety of techniques students trained at the Johns Hopkins Institute for NanoBioTechnology are expected to understand. Each technique is taught in a different affiliated faculty lab. More lab techniques to come.

Photolithography (taught in the laboratory of Konstantinos Konstantopoulos)

photolithographyThis lab was interesting and informative, because I use similar techniques in lab, microfabrications and microfluidics, but I have not yet used photolithography to design a device. It was useful for me to learn about the different steps in fabrication, specifically finding out that smaller features need to be patterned before larger features. One drawback of this process is the inability to create tube-like geometries that resemble blood vessels in vivo.

One way I could incorporate photolithography into my microfluidic device would be to create a second port into the device so I could modify the media conditions during an experiment. For example, endothelial cells under shear stress could achieve a quiescent state in some basal media, then at a given time point, the media conditions could be modified and the response of the monolayer quantified. Photolithography and design can allow for better control over the flow through the device and allow for better experimental design.

About the author: Jackson DeStefano is a first year PhD candidate in the laboratory of Peter Searson, professor of materials science and engineering.

For all press inquiries regarding INBT, its faculty and programs, contact Mary Spiro, mspiro@jhu.edu or 410-516-4802.